Participation in sport in disadvantaged areas
The Culture, Communications, Welsh Language, Sport, and International Relations Committee is conducting an inquiry into participation in sport in disadvantaged areas. It will be considering issues affecting people in areas shown to be relatively deprived according to the Welsh Index of Multiple Deprivation, including the following:
- What are the main barriers to participation in sport in disadvantaged areas? How do these intersect with other factors including:
- Sex and gender,
- Socioeconomic status,
- How clear a picture do we have of current participation levels in disadvantaged areas? Does the current data enable policy interventions to be effective?
- How should public funding be used to increase participation in disadvantaged areas?
- How effective are current interventions at increasing participation in disadvantaged areas?
- Has the pandemic caused any persistent changes to participation levels in disadvantaged areas?
- How effectively do different sectors (e.g. education and health) collaborate to improve participation in sport in disadvantaged areas?
- Are there examples of best practice, both within Wales and internationally, that Wales should learn from to increase participation in sport in disadvantaged areas?
Business type: Committee Inquiry
Reason considered: Senedd Business;
First published: 07/02/2022
- Levelling the playing field: A report on participation in sport and physical activity in disadvantaged areas - August 2022
- StreetGames - Additional Information PDF 380 KB
- Note following visit to a gymnastics club PDF 117 KB
- Engagement findings - Report PDF 225 KB
- Football Association of Wales - Additional Information PDF 176 KB
- Cricket Wales - Additional Information PDF 3 MB
- Sport Wales - Additional Information PDF 436 KB
- Welsh Sports Association - Poverty and Children & Young People’s Ability to Participate in Sport in Wales PDF 1 MB View as HTML (8) 96 KB
- Participation in sport in disadvantaged areas (completed)