Common frameworks - Sixth Senedd
Following the UK’s decision to leave the European Union, the UK Government and the devolved governments in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland agreed to create common UK-wide approaches - or ‘frameworks’ - in policy areas that were governed by EU law, but that are within the competence of the devolved governments or legislatures.
On 16 October 2017, the Joint Ministerial Committee (EU Negotiations) published a communique (PDF, 71.8KB) that set out the principles that would govern the frameworks.
On 25 April 2018, the Welsh and UK Governments published an Intergovernmental Agreement (PDF, 125KB) on the EU Withdrawal Bill (now EU Withdrawal Act 2018) and the establishment of common frameworks. The Agreement allows devolved legislatures to legislate on any areas within their powers. However, it also placed restrictions on 24 devolved areas, which were under discussion. The Agreement further set out the political undertakings in relation to creating legislative common frameworks.
The Act also required the UK Government to report to the UK Parliament on various matters pertaining to common frameworks, and the use of the section 12 powers in the 2018 Act to temporarily maintain the existing EU law limits on devolved competence. Information on reports laid in the Sixth Senedd under Standing Order 30B can be found at Reports in connection with retained EU law restrictions.
The Legislation, Justice and Constitution Committee will maintain oversight of the common frameworks programme in the Sixth Senedd, and individual Senedd Committees* will consider specific frameworks that fall within their remit.
Further information on Senedd Committees’ consideration of the framework programme and individual frameworks will be available here, on each Committee’s webpage, and under ‘Related Issues’ or ‘Related Meetings’.
*In particular, the Climate Change, Environment and Infrastructure Committee; the Economy, Trade and Rural Affairs Committee; and the Health and Social Care Committee.
Fifth Senedd work on common frameworks
Information on work carried out on common frameworks during the Fifth Senedd can be found at Common UK policy frameworks – Fifth Senedd. Information on reports laid in the Fifth Senedd under Standing Order 30B can be found at Reports in connection with retained EU law restrictions.
First published: 04/11/2021
- Letter from the Counsel General and Minister for the Constitution to the Chair of the Legislation, Justice and Constitution Committee: Common Frameworks - 2 March 2022 PDF 472 KB
- Letter from the Chair of the Legislation, Justice and Constitution Committee to the Counsel General and Minister for the Constitution: Common Frameworks - 15 February 2022 PDF 151 KB
- Response from the Counsel General and Minister for the Constitution to Chair, Legislation, Justice and Constitution Committee regarding common frameworks - 25 November 2021 PDF 564 KB
- Letter from Chair, Legislation, Justice and Constitution Committee to the Counsel General and Minister for the Constitution regarding common frameworks - 15 November 2021 PDF 306 KB
- Letter from the Counsel General and Minister for the Constitution to the Chair of the Legislation, Justice and Constitution Committee: Quadrilateral ministerial meeting on Common Frameworks - 8 November 2021 PDF 179 KB
- Letter from Chair, Legislation, Justice and Constitutional Committee regarding the scrutiny by Senedd Committees of common frameworks - 23 September 2021 PDF 797 KB
- Scrutiny of Common Frameworks (completed)