NDM7704 Member Debate under Standing Order 11.21(iv): Bus services
NDM7704 Huw Irranca-Davies (Ogmore)
To propose that the Senedd:
1. Notes the bus service agreement of March 2021 commits £37.2 million of funding to continue to support the bus industry in the coming financial year.
2. Notes that the agreement commits to a fundamental reshaping of local bus services, better meeting the needs of passengers.
3. Notes that the agreement also seeks to rebuild patronage post-covid, encouraging increasing numbers to use public transport over time for a wide range of journeys, as conditions permit.
4. Further notes the publication of Llwybr Newydd: The Wales Transport Strategy 2021, which contains a range of commitments including:
a) extending the reach of bus services; b) progressing new bus legislation to give the public sector more control over local bus services;c) delivering innovative, more flexible bus services, in partnership with local authorities, the commercial and third sectors; and d) ensuring that bus services and facilities are accessible, attractive and safe for everyone.
5. Calls on the Welsh Government to set out detailed plans and timescales for delivering the commitments on bus services in Llwybr Newydd.
6. Calls on the Welsh Government and partners to engage meaningfully with local communities across Wales on the strategy and in reshaping bus services to meet the transport needs identified by those communities.
Business type: Debate
Reason considered: Senedd Business;
First published: 17/06/2021