P-05-1154 Re-open the Welsh hospitality sector by 12 April 2021
This petition was submitted by Lyndsey Groundwell, having collected a total of 157 signatures.
Text of Petition:
With proposed easing for Welsh holidays and the UK government’s exit strategy, we believe it is now time for the permanent re-opening of this economically and socially invaluable sector.
- NHS alert level has been dropped due to lesser threat
- Wales has administered highest percentage of vaccine first doses
- Lowest cases per 100,000 among UK nations at 75.4 per 100,000 - comparable to rates seen in September - plus other currently satisfied criteria means Wales now falls into alert level 2.
Many Welsh pubs are the hub of the community providing a place where people can drop in and talk to other members of their local community which helps them feel less isolated. This benefit to people is specifically found in “the local” and often overlooked
Hospitality includes pubs, restaurants and cafes which attract members from every section of society and provides an invaluable source of income to its wider supply chain. Giving a date of 12 April will allow time for these vital companies to procure and manufacture the supplies that will be needed for the re-opening of venues
Last year, Wales re-opened after England which saw Welsh revenue go over the border
So far, hospitality will have been closed for two Easters, 2 Bank Holidays, Halloween, Bonfire Night, Christmas and New Year, St Dwynwen’s, Valentine’s, 6 Nations and also St Patrick’s and St David’s Day.
Many businesses will not survive unless the re-opening of hospitality is expedited.
As the action the petition was calling for is being implemented the Committee agreed to close the petition and thank the petitioner.
Full details of the consideration of this petition by the Committee and related documents can be seen on the Meetings tab above.
It was first considered by the Petitions Committee on 16/03/2021.
- Carmarthen East and Dinefwr
- Mid and West Wales
- The Petitions Committee homepage
- View all open petitions
- View all petitions the committee is currently considering
- How the petitions system works
Business type: Petition
Reason considered: Senedd Business;
Status: For consideration
First published: 11/03/2021