Barriers to the successful Implementation of the Well-Being of Future Generations (Wales) Act 2015
The Auditor General for Wales has a duty, under the Well-being of Future Generations (Wales) Act 2015, to examine and report on the extent to which relevant public bodies have acted in accordance with the ‘sustainable development principle’ when setting and taking steps to meet ‘well-being objectives’.
The Auditor General published his first statutory Report in relation to the Well-being of Future Generations (Wales) Act 2015 in May 2020, in line with being available 12 months prior to elections in respect of the Senedd.
The Future Generations Commissioner also has a similar requirement and her first Report was also published May 2020.
The Chair’s Forum met in March 2020 and agreed that the Public Accounts Committee would lead on examining these Reports.
The Public Accounts Committee received briefings from both the Auditor General for Wales and the Future Generations Commissioner in May 2020 and agree to undertake a wider examination of the Reports during the remainder of this Senedd.
A (virtual) Stakeholder Event was held on 12 October 2020 when over 50 participants discussed the Barriers to the successful Implementation of the Well-Being of Future Generations (Wales) Act 2015 and the challenges to ensuring the Act is implemented successfully in the future.
The Committee launched a consultation exercise on 12 October which closed on 27 November 2020.
Oral evidence sessions took place from December 2020 to February 2021.
The responses to the Committee’s Report will be considered by the successor Committee in the Sixth Senedd.
Date, Agenda and Minutes
Auditor General for Wales
World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF Cymru)
Chartered Institute of Housing (CIH)
Aneurin Bevan University Health Board
Velindre University NHS Trust
Ceredigion County Council
Isle of Anglesey County Council
Flintshire County Council
Powys County Council
National Library of Wales
National Museum of Wales
National Resources Wales
Pembrokeshire Coast National Park Authority
Public Health Wales
Panel 1: Future Generations Commissioner
Panel 2: Welsh Government
Business type: Other
First published: 28/04/2020
- Committee Report - Delivering for Future Generations: The story so far (March 2021) PDF 3 MB
- Letter from the Deputy Minister and Chief Whip - 24 March 2021 PDF 306 KB
- Letter from the Committee Chair to the Llywydd - 16 March 2021 PDF 110 KB
- Consultation Pack PDF 12 MB
- Consultation Letter - 12 October 2020 PDF 160 KB
- Engagement with Young People
- Summary of engagement with young people PDF 159 KB
- Engagement with young people: activity resource pack PDF 304 KB
- Findings from the Stakeholder Event (12 October 2020) PDF 265 KB
- Submission from Wales Centre for Public Policy - January 2021 PDF 337 KB View as HTML (13) 36 KB
- Letter from the Auditor General for Wales - 14 January 2021 PDF 138 KB
- Letter from the Committee Chair to the Auditor General for Wales and the Future Generations Commissioner - 29 May 2020 PDF 188 KB
- Letter from the Committee Chair to Schools and Youth Groups – 27 October 2020 PDF 253 KB