Follow up work on Marine Protected Area management in Wales
In August 2017, the Climate Change, Environment and Rural Affairs Committee published its report, Turning the tide? Report of the inquiry into the Welsh Government’s approach to Marine Protected Area management. The report made a number of recommendations about the need to increase resources for MPA management; establish a marine science partnership; increase awareness of the role of MPAs; and create an enforcement strategy based on risk.
In September 2018, the Welsh Government published an MPA Network Management Framework for Wales 2018-2023 and an MPA Network Management Action Plan for Wales 2018-2019.
The Committee was keen to assess the progress made by the Welsh Government in taking forward the recommendations in its report, and in delivering MPA Network Management Action Plan 2018-19.
The Committee received written evidence from stakeholders and these have been published.
First published: 21/03/2019
- Committee Report on The Welsh Government’s progress on Marine Protected Area management - 14 November 2019
- Welsh Government response to the Committee's report - 8 January 2020
- Correspondence from the Chair to the Minister for Environment, Energy and Rural Affairs - 14 November 2019 PDF 179 KB
- Correspondence from Wales Environemnt Link - 10 June 2019 PDF 415 KB
- Correspondence from the Minister for Environment, Energy and Rural Affairs to the Chair - 17 April 2019 PDF 2 MB
- Correspondence from the Chair to the Minister for Environment, Energy and Rural Affairs - 12 March 2019 PDF 116 KB