National Development Framework for Wales
The Climate Change, Environment and Rural Affairs Committee (the Committee) undertook work on the Welsh Government’s draft National Development Framework (NDF).
The NDF is a spatial planning document which is required under the Planning (Wales) Act 2015 (the Planning Act).
The Planning Act requires the Welsh Ministers to develop a NDF. The NDF sets out a 20 year land use framework and will be reviewed at least every five years. It is a major policy document that sets national spatial policy, directs Strategic Development Plans and Local Development Plans, and informs Welsh Government decision-making on major planning applications.
In August 2019, the Welsh Government published its draft National Development Framework for consultation.
The Committee undertook work on the draft NDF at an early stage, with a view to influencing its content, and informing future consideration of the draft by the Senedd.
Following the Welsh Government’s consultation, and in line with the requirements in the Planning Act, the draft NDF was laid before the Senedd for consideration for a 60 day period (‘the Senedd consideration period’) before it was finalised.
The Welsh Government laid the second iteration of the draft NDF before the Senedd on 21 September 2020, along with the following documents:
A copy of the draft NDF which incorporates the proposed changes can be found on the Welsh Government’s website.
The Planning Act sets out the following provisions that relate to the NDF:
· Section 3(4) requires Welsh Ministers to have regard to any resolution passed by the Senedd in Plenary and any recommendation made by a Senedd committee during the 60 day scrutiny period.
· After the 60 day consideration period has ended, the Welsh Ministers may publish a final, unamended version of the NDF. However, if the Welsh Ministers decide to amend the draft NDF, they may lay before the Senedd an amended draft of the NDF and publish it.
· If the Senedd or any of its committees has agreed any resolution or made any recommendations during the consideration period, the Welsh Ministers must, not later than the day on which the NDF is published, lay a statement explaining how they have had regard to each resolution or recommendation.
To inform its work on the second iteration of the draft NDF the Committee invited written submissions and heard oral evidence from
First Committee Report:
The Committee published its report on the first draft National Development Framework (PDF 1MB) on 13 December 2019.
Second Committee Report:
The Committee considered the proposed changes to the draft NDF and reported to the Senedd before the end of the 60 day period.
The Committee published its report on the second iteration of the draft National Development Framework: Future Wales: The National Plan (PDF 396KB) on 23 November 2020.
On 24 February 2021 the Minister for Housing and Local Government wrote (PDF 322KB) to the Chair to inform him that she had published the Welsh Government’s National Development Framework ‘Future Wales – The National Plan 2040’ and laid a Statement in the Senedd (PDF 861KB) responding to the Committee’s recommendations.
Business type: Legislation
First published: 23/05/2018
- Correspondence from the Minister for Housing and Local Government - 24 February 2021 PDF 332 KB
- Statement to the Senedd following scrutiny of Future Wales during Sept to Nov 2020 - February 2021 PDF 861 KB
- Letter from the Minister for Housing and Local Government - 2 December 2020 PDF 257 KB
- Committee Report on the second iteration of the draft National Development Framework: Future Wales The National Plan 2040 - November 2020
- Correspondence from the Chair, Culture, Welsh Language and Communications Committee to the Minister for Housing and Local Government - 18 November 2020 PDF 290 KB
- Draft National Development Framework for Wales (second iteration) - written submissions October 2020: NDF(v2) 01-28
- NDF (v2) 01 Individual PDF 139 KB
- NDF (v2) 02 Individual PDF 107 KB
- NDF (v2) 03 Individual PDF 109 KB
- NDF (v2) 04 Savills on behalf of Cancer Research UK and the RSPCA PDF 260 KB
- NDF (v2) 05 Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI) Cymru PDF 145 KB
- NDF (v2) 06 The Woodland Trust PDF 183 KB
- NDF (v2) 07 Three National Park Authorities PDF 385 KB
- NDF (v2) 09 Llanarth Estates PDF 309 KB
- NDF (v2) 08 Cambrian Mountain Society PDF 276 KB
- NDF (v2) 10 Savills on behalf of Walters Land Limited PDF 196 KB
- NDF (v2) 11 Renewable UK Cymru (RUKC) PDF 207 KB
- NDF (v2) 12 Chartered Institute of Housing PDF 213 KB
- NDF (v2) 13 Ramblers Cymru PDF 142 KB
- NDF (v2) 14 Savills PDF 237 KB
- NDF (v2) 15 RPS Consulting Ltd on behalf of Barratt David Wilson Homes PDF 187 KB
- NDF (v2) 16 Home Builders Federation PDF 392 KB
- NDF (v2) 17 RWE Renewables UK Ltd PDF 317 KB
- NDF (v2) 18 Carmarthenshire County Council PDF 195 KB
- NDF (v2) 19 Campaign for the Protection of Rural Wales PDF 294 KB
- NDF (v2) 20 RSPB Cymru PDF 174 KB
- NDF (v2) 21 The John Muir Trust PDF 130 KB
- NDF (v2) 22 Savills on behalf of St Modwen Developments Limited PDF 157 KB
- NDF (v2) 23 Individual PDF 81 KB
- NDF (v2) 24 Friends of Pembrokeshire Coast National Park PDF 212 KB
- NDF (v2) 25 Snowdonia Society PDF 231 KB
- NDF (v2) 26 National Grid PDF 191 KB
- NDF (v2) 27 Individual PDF 315 KB
- NDF (v2) 28 Crompton Land and Development Ltd PDF 143 KB
- Welsh Government response to the Committee’s report on the draft National Development Framework– 21 September 2020 PDF 536 KB
- Correspondence from the Chair to the Llywydd - 18 September 2020 PDF 169 KB
- Correspondence from the Llywydd to the Chair including a letter from the Minister for Finance and Trefnydd - 5 March 2020 PDF 371 KB
- Welsh Government response to Committee report - 29 January 2020 PDF 353 KB
- Correspondence from the Chair to the Llywydd - 21 January 2020 PDF 263 KB
- Committee Report on the draft National Development Framework - 13 December 2019
- Draft National Development Framework for Wales - written submissions October 2019: NDF 01-13:
- NDF 01 Royal Town Planning Institute PDF 117 KB
- NDF 02 Dr Neil Harris PDF 142 KB
- NDF 03 National Park Authorities PDF 377 KB
- NDF 04 Planning Officers Society for Wales (POSW) PDF 339 KB
- NDF 05 Ceredigion County Council PDF 112 KB
- NDF 06 Chartered Institute of Housing Cymru PDF 199 KB
- NDF 07 Home Builders Federation PDF 193 KB
- NDF 08 RSPB Cymru PDF 223 KB
- NDF 09 Savills PDF 158 KB
- NDF 11 Renewable UK Cymru PDF 233 KB
- NDF 12 Woodland Trust PDF 195 KB
- NDF 13 Wildlife Trusts PDF 331 KB
- Correspondence from the Minister for Housing and Local Government - 7 August 2019 PDF 536 KB
- Correspondence from the Chair to the Minister for Housing and Local Government - 17 Gorffennaf 2019 PDF 70 KB
- Correspondence from the Minister for Housing and Local Government regarding the British-Irish Council (BIC) Joint Housing and Spatial Planning Work Sectors Ministerial meeting - 18 March 2021 PDF 292 KB