Cross-party Group on Disability
Purpose: To address key pan-impairment disability equality issues including implementation of the Social Model of Disability and the right to Independent Living.
The Cross Party Group on Disability was re-established in 2016 and is chaired by Mark Isherwood AM. The Group consists of Assembly Members from some of the main political parties and members of the Wales Disability Reference Group, which consists of umbrella bodies in Wales that represent the interests of disabled people.
The Group aims to raise awareness of key pan-impairment disability issues and to promote disables people’s concerns. The Group will not take on case work but will signpost enquirers as appropriate.
The main themes that the CPGD will address are:
• The Social Model of Disability
• The United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities and the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child
• The Welsh Government’s Framework for Action on Independent Living. – Plan for a review
• Employment strategy
• Impact in social, economic, political, policy and legislation on disabled people in Wales and the UK
• The impact of EU withdrawal on disabled people in Wales
• Welfare reform
Meetings are held quarterly, including one which will be organised as an ‘open’ meeting.
The secretariat is provided by Learning Disability Wales on behalf of the Wales Disability Reference Group, whose member organisations are:
Disability Wales, Learning Disability Wales, Mind Cymru, Vision in Wales, Wales Council for Deaf People.
Chair: Mark Isherwood
Secretary: Zoe Richards
Date: 18 October 2017
Time: 12.00 – 13.30
Location: Media Briefing Room.
Cross-Party Group Documentation:
Phone: 02920 681160