P-05-893 Save Our Parks In Wales
This petition was submitted by Crispian Huggill having collected a total of 244 signatures.
Text of Petition
Parks and play areas are falling into disrepair or are under threat of being built on or sold to developers.
This is despite the vital health and social benefits that our much-loved green spaces provide.
This petition is to galvanise support to save our parks, playgrounds and open spaces from being lost forever, to serve the needs of today's and those of future generations and to uphold the obligations councils in Wales have under the Well-being Of Future Generations Act 2015 and the Environment Act 2016.
1) A statutory requirement for councils to ring-fence funding for parks at £30 per household per year.
2) There to be a legal duty for all green space to be managed to a good standard.
3) New rules banning the development on, selling off or the inappropriate use of, parkland.
4) A new Welsh Government fund to provide emergency help for parks most at risk and ensure the long-term future of Wales's green open spaces.
5) A legal requirement for all councils to operate an Open Spaces Strategy in accordance with the Fields In Trust Standards, the Well-being of Future Generations Act 2015, and the Environment Act 2016 and to work with Fields In Trust to protect and enhance all public green open spaces in Wales.
Assembly Constituency and Region
Business type: Petition
Reason considered: Assembly Business;
Status: For consideration
First published: 17/07/2019
Decision due: Meeting Date by Petitions Committee