Lee Waters (Llanelli):
To propose that the National Assembly for Wales:
1. Recognises the importance of a modern public transport network to relieve pressure on Wales’s road network.
2. Notes the evidence that a fully integrated public transport system - including active travel - is needed to provide a practical and attractive alternative to car use.
3. Welcomes the commitment to the first stages of a south Wales metro.
4. Endorses the commitment to develop a vision for a north-east Wales metro, and the allocation of funding for the development of a strategic outline case for a Swansea Bay metro, and calls on the Welsh Government to identify funding for full feasibility studies as a next step.
5. Believes Transport for Wales must have the power to act as a development corporation - with the ability to capitalise on rising land values in areas close to metro stations - in order to lever in further funding to expand the metro network.
Business type: Debate
Reason considered: Assembly Business;
First published: 07/12/2017
Decision due: 13 Dec 2017 by Plenary
Lead member: Lee Waters AM