To propose that the National Assembly for Wales:
1. Notes that the commonly-termed 'fourth industrial revolution' presents both challenges and opportunities to Wales' economy.
2. Notes that an estimated 700,000 jobs are at risk in Wales over the next two decades as a result of automation.
3. Believes that Wales has existing expertise that offers competitive advantage in emerging growth industries.
4. Recognises that, to capitalise on these emerging industries, we need to focus on rapid, agile approaches which adapt easily to changed circumstances.
5. Calls on the Welsh Government to revisit the Innovation Wales Strategy with a view to ensuring it reflects the scale and scope of the disruption we face, and commits to a strategic review of opportunities in emerging, high-growth sectors, where Wales has the potential to establish early market dominance as part of its work on developing a new economic strategy.
Business type: Debate
Reason considered: Assembly Business;
First published: 30/03/2017
Decision due: 5 Apr 2017 by Plenary