Concise Minutes - Culture, Welsh Language and Communications Committee


Meeting Venue:

Committee Room 2 - Senedd

Meeting date: Wednesday, 26 June 2019

Meeting time: 09.30 - 12.29
This meeting can be viewed
on Senedd TV at:
http://senedd.tv/en/5515


------

Attendance

Category

Names

Assembly Members:

Bethan Sayed AM (Chair)

John Griffiths AM

Dai Lloyd AM

Carwyn Jones AM

David Melding AM

Witnesses:

Dr Elin Jones

Mark Cleverley, NASUWT

Ioan Rhys Jones, UCAC

Gareth Jones, Owain Glyndŵr Society

Eryl Owain, Welsh History Campaign

Wyn Thomas, Dyfodol i'r Iaith

Ginger Wiegand, Ethnic Minorities & Youth Support Team Wales (EYST Wales)

Gaynor Legall, The Heritage & Culture Exchange

Committee Staff:

Robert Donovan (Clerk)

Gareth Price (Clerk)

Martha Da Gama Howells (Second Clerk)

Lowri Jones (Deputy Clerk)

Sian Hughes (Researcher)

 

<AI1>

1       Introductions, apologies, substitutions and declarations of interest

1.1 The Chair welcomed Members to the meeting.

1.2 The Chair welcomed Carwyn Jones AM and John Griffiths AM to the Committee and thanked Jayne Bryant AM, Rhianon Passmore AM and Vikki Howells AM for their contribution to the Committee’s work.

1.3 Apologies were received from Mick Antoniw and Delyth Jewell AM. Dai Lloyd AM attended in Delyth Jewell AM’s absence.

</AI1>

<AI2>

2       Teaching of Welsh history, culture and heritage: evidence session with Dr Elin Jones

2.1 Dr Elin Jones responded to questions from Members of the Committee.

</AI2>

<AI3>

3       Teaching of Welsh history, culture and heritage: evidence session with practitioners

3.1 Witnesses responded to questions from Members of the Committee.

3.2 The Committee agreed to write to UCAC regarding the transferability of skills in terms of teaching in Wales.

</AI3>

<AI4>

4       Teaching of Welsh history, culture and heritage: evidence session with Welsh history interest groups

4.1 Witnesses responded to questions from Members of the Committee.

</AI4>

<AI5>

5       Teaching of Welsh history, culture and heritage: evidence session with diversity history groups

5.1 The Chair informed the Committee that the representative of Race Council Cymru was unable to attend the meeting due to illness.

5.2 Witnesses responded to questions from Members of the Committee.

</AI5>

<AI6>

6       Paper(s) to note

</AI6>

<AI7>

6.1   Correspondence with Ken MacQuarrie, Director, Nations & Regions, BBC regarding Ofcom requirements for radio content

6.1 The Committee agreed to write to Ofcom regarding their requirements for radio content.

</AI7>

<AI8>

6.2   Correspondence from Crosskeys Silver Band regarding the requirement for licences for child performers

6.2 Members noted the paper.

</AI8>

<AI9>

6.3   Correspondence from the Chair of the Constitutional and Legislative Affairs Committee with the Minister for Health and Social Services

6.3 Members noted the paper.

</AI9>

<AI10>

6.4   Correspondence with the Chief Executive of S4C regarding proposed changes to the S4C schedule

6.4 Members noted the paper.

</AI10>

<AI11>

7       Motion under Standing Order 17.42 to resolve to exclude the public from the remainder of this meeting

7.1 The motion was agreed.

</AI11>

<AI12>

8       Private debrief

8.1 Members agreed to discuss the evidence received at this meeting at its next formal meeting on 10 July.

</AI12>

<TRAILER_SECTION>

</TRAILER_SECTION>

<LAYOUT_SECTION>

1.          FIELD_TITLE

FIELD_SUMMARY

</LAYOUT_SECTION>

<TITLE_ONLY_LAYOUT_SECTION>

2.          FIELD_TITLE

</TITLE_ONLY_LAYOUT_SECTION>

<HEADING_LAYOUT_SECTION>

FIELD_TITLE

</HEADING_LAYOUT_SECTION>

<TITLED_COMMENT_LAYOUT_SECTION>

FIELD_TITLE

FIELD_SUMMARY

</TITLED_COMMENT_LAYOUT_SECTION>

<COMMENT_LAYOUT_SECTION>

FIELD_SUMMARY

</COMMENT_LAYOUT_SECTION>

 

<SUBNUMBER_LAYOUT_SECTION>

2.1          FIELD_TITLE

FIELD_SUMMARY

</SUBNUMBER_LAYOUT_SECTION>

 

<TITLE_ONLY_SUBNUMBER_LAYOUT_SECTION>

2.2          FIELD_TITLE

</TITLE_ONLY_SUBNUMBER_LAYOUT_SECTION>